Thursday, April 15, 2010

Faithful Friend

What makes a friend? Is he someone who can make you laugh and cry at the same time? Is he a kind of person who is willing to leap with you from a high cliff hoping that the net will appear? Is he someone who knows you better than yourself? And the most common of these cliches: Is he a kind of person you can count on?

I don't have friends more than the count of my fingers. But I am sure that few of my friends won't leave my side in the same way that my countable fingers would never be detached until I run out of life. We all have our own circle of friends. Even the loneliest person has a friend. He may just be unconscious about it. I don't believe that nobody cares in this world. No matter how numerous our friends are, reality-wise, there are only a handful of them we can probably depend on. Am I right?

To all of my friends I can depend on, I dedicate this song to you. I know I've heard this song somewhere but I can't just remember the title a long time ago. But now, I know it. This song has a beautiful lyrics. I didn't have intentions to write a blog post tonight but I was just so inspired and I wanted to contaminate you.



When I was in high school, my most favorite lesson in literature was the story entitled "The Little Prince" written by Antoine De Saint-Exupery. It was a story that taught me something about friendship. Here is some excerpt from the story. I really like this story a lot the reason that until now I could still remember it. (Not word by word of couse. I just copied the below text from a website.)
The fox gazed at the little prince, for a long time.

"Please--tame me!" he said.


"I want to, very much," the little prince replied. "But I have not much time. I have friends to discover, and a great many things to understand."


"One only understands the things that one tames," said the fox. "Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me . . ."


"What must I do, to tame you?" asked the little prince.

"You must be very patient," replied the fox. "First you will sit down at a little distance from me--like that--in the grass. I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings. But you will sit a little closer to me, every day . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment