Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It is a Hat!

As you grow up, the more you don't get to understand things.

That keeps me thinking. I believe it's true. As we get old, our horizons become wider. Everyday, we are exposed to a lot of things, ideas and information. The experience of the so called psychological bombardment becomes a routine. It forms the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. Some of those impact us in many positive ways but some give us shaky knees. Tsk. Stop. I sound like a textbook.

As I grow up, my understanding of life is getting somewhat hazy.

Is it because I'm a complicated kind of person? Well, I can say I'm not a happy-go-lucky type. I don't believe in luck either. But I believe in a quote I have read somewhere that luck is a point where preparation and opportunity meet. I strongly believe that if a person works so badly to attain his goals and ambitions in life, despite of lack of skills or wits, nothing and no one can get in his way. Certainly, a grown up kind of thinking. But in the perspective of a child, getting what he wants is desperately not ceasing to cry until he gets to touch a toy he is badly longing for. It is being persistent and insistent. You might think it is a spoiled child's ways but think of it like a grown up. The child is unripe for reasoning and reaching for a toy he wants is beyond his capacity. The only thing he can do is to cry. If he doesn't want a thing so badly, why do you think a child will cry? A child's world is just all about what he wants and what he doesn't want.

It's not that I am stupid enough to simply understand life. But each of us sees life in different angles. What our left eye can see is different from what our right eye can see. We see differently if both of our eyes are open as well. With your two eyes widely open, what can you see with this picture? What do you think it is?


Yes I heard you! It's a HAT! Oh no, you did not read the text. It's actually a boa constrictor that has just swallowed an elephant!

It is so wonderful to know that the great truths and the beauty about things are obviously hidden. I am still a crusader. Indeed, I am one of those people who ride an express train without knowing where I am going to. But I believe that in due time, I will be able to know.

As I was writing this, I have my earphones plugged to my ears listening to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Listening to classical music always remains a great mystery to me evoking a deep flowing emotion. It's so beautiful!

Sometimes I want to go back to childhood. Childhood is a stage in your life in which you had once been vulnerable but you knew very well what you want. A child also lives in his simple world and has simple happiness, a piece of candy perhaps.

I take delight in the beauty of things that are yet unseen. Lately, I have found and bought a book entitled The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery. It is definitely my most favorite story of all time. It is a very short story you can read in one sitting but reading it is incomparable to reading a whole encyclopedia. It is full of simple truths about the world - love, friendship, and life.


It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment